Click on each picture to view details.
OPL Study Sites
Our studies have primarily utilized advanced instrumentation deployed on moorings. Past mooring sites are shown in the map below. For details about specific projects, click on project names on the map below or visit our Projects page.
The Ocean Physics Laboratory (OPL) is part of the Department of Geography at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Our principal investigator is Professor Tommy Dickey. Tommy is a faculty member of the Department of Geography and the Interdepartmental Graduate Program in Marine Science.
OPL’s Primary Objectives Interdisciplinary Science Topics Include:
- Ocean Optics
- Optics to investigate oceanic processes
- Scales of oceanic variability
- Ocean Eddies
- Dickey, T., 2019, The Rewards of Therapy Dogging with Great Pyrenees, Bulletin of the Great Pyrenees Club of America 1st quarter 2019.
- Dickey, T., T. Strom, and T. Denney-Combs, 2020, A Tribute to Betty Walsh and Her Therapy Dogs, Bulletin of the Great Pyrenees Club of America 3rd quarter 2020, pp. 44-45.
- Dickey, T., 2020, The Potential Use of COVID-19 Scent Sniffing Dogs, Therapy Dogs, Bulletin of the Great Pyrenees Club of America 3rd quarter 2020, pp. 38-40.
- Dickey, T., 2020, New Discoveries Enabled by the Emergence of High‐Resolution, Long‐Term Interdisciplinary Ocean Observations, Perspectives of Earth and Space scientists, https://doi.org/10.1029/2020CN000129.
- Dickey, T. and H. Junqueira, 2020, Toward the Use of Medical Scent Detection Dogs for COVID-19 Testing, submitted to The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association.
Following are journal covers by OPL: